Did you ever wish you could make a really easy delicious chicken dinner, where the chicken doesn’t get dry and you don’t have to watch it the whole time and it makes everyone who eats it really happy? Yes?! Then these Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs are for you!
And did I mention my Easy Baked Sweet Potatoes? They take a couple minutes to throw together and complement this chicken perfectly.
A few super easy to find spices make the amazing rub that creates the delicious savory flavors of these perfectly baked chicken thighs. Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, oregano, sea salt, and some black pepper create the most amazing spice blend, elevated by the apple cider vinegar that these thighs marinate in. Using an acidic medium like vinegar before cooking meat is an essential step for healthy cooking—it greatly reduces the formation of compounds called advanced glycation end products, or AGEs, that can occur when cooking proteins and fats. So, a quick bath in some apple cider vinegar makes these chicken thighs juicer and healthier all at once.
I always recommend eating pasture-raised chicken if you can find it, and free-range organic as the runner-up. Pasture-raised means the chicken was raised with abundant outdoor space, free to embrace natural behaviors like pecking and scratching, eating a natural diet rich in nutrients thanks to a diversity of plants, insects, seeds, etc. This creates nutrient-dense meat that is better for your body—richer in anti-inflammatory fats, antioxidants, and vitamins like C and E. Chickens raised on a diet of corn (often GMO corn ridden with pesticides) and kept in small spaces, like conventional chickens are, the meat they produce is not beneficial for your health, and can even hurt it due to higher amounts of inflammatory fats.
Okay! So, let’s make dinner. At least an hour before roasting, soak your chicken thighs in the apple cider vinegar. You can also do this a few hours beforehand. After that time, drain the extra liquid from the chicken and preheat the oven to 375°F.
Then, rub the spices all over the chicken and get underneath the skin. Place the chicken on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and pop in the oven.
Now you can work on the sweet potatoes. Once they’re diced, simply toss in the avocado oil and spices and then evenly spread on a baking sheet. Pop these into the oven after the chicken has been in for 25 minutes, and they’ll finish at the same time.
After a total of 45 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and tent with foil, allowing to rest for 5 minutes or so.
Serve these amazing Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs and Easy Baked Sweet Potatoes with a colorful side salad and dig in! Check out my Rainbow Basil Kale Salad or Pomegranate Hazelnut Shredded Brussels Sprouts for two great side options.
These Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs will become a new family favorite. They’re Paleo, Whole30, and they make an easy weeknight meal that’s high in protein and low in carbs.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- One to three hours prior to baking, marinade chicken thighs in apple cider vinegar.
- When ready to cook, drain excess vinegar and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all spices in a small bowl, then add to chicken and rub all over, as well as under the skin.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet, facing up. Roast chicken for 40-45 minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers at 165°F. Remove from the oven, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with Easy Baked Sweet Potatoes and a fresh side salad.
- Serving Size: 1 thigh
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Protein: 19g
These Easy Baked Sweet Potatoes are a weeknight go-to for healthy eating. Pair them with my Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs and a side salad for the perfect Paleo or Whole30 meal.
- 2 large sweet potato or yam, diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.*
- Toss diced sweet potatoes or yams in avocado oil. Then add sea salt and garlic powder and toss again.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet and pop into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and bake another 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with my Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs and a side salad.
*If you’re making these with my Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs, you can bake them in the same oven. Just place in the oven after the chicken has been in for 15 minutes.
- Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
- Calories: 89
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 1g
Easy might be an understatement for these Easy Bake Sweet Potatoes. They are so good and simple to make; combine them with my Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs and a side salad for the perfect Paleo or Whole30 meal.
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss diced sweet potatoes in avocado oil, then add sea salt and garlic and toss again.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stir, then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with Smoky Roasted Chicken Thighs and a side salad.