This super-rich, super-dark chocolate cake will become your new go-to for a decadent but healthy celebratory treat. A few easy to find, simple ingredients make a dazzling cake that is sure to please any chocolate lover!
- 12 oz. organic unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely ground coffee or espresso (optional)
Honey Almond Butter Glaze + Fruit:
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced (or whole raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 325F. Trace the bottom of a 9″ springform pan on parchment paper, then cut out the circle and place in the bottom of the pan. Grease the sides with coconut oil and set aside.
- Fill a medium-sized pot with a few inches of water, then place a glass or metal bowl on top of the pan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Add chopped chocolate, coconut oil, and sea salt to the bowl and turn on to medium heat. As the chocolate and oil begin to melt, stir frequently. Don’t let water get above a light simmer. Once chocolate and coconut oil are fully melted and blended, remove from heat and allow to cool for several minutes, still stirring occasionally.
- In a medium-sized bowl, use a hand mixer to blend eggs, coconut sugar, vanilla, and coffee together really well, 5-8 minutes.
- Fold chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Stir together until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pan, gently tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove air bubbles, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.* Allow cake to cool for at least 20 minutes before removing it from the pan and glazing.
- To make glaze, mix together creamy almond butter, honey, and melted coconut oil in a small bowl. Drizzle over the outsides of the cooled cake first, then swirl more over the top. Pile sliced strawberries in the center of the cake and enjoy!
*Since I live at a very high altitude, baking times may vary for your cake. Check it after 45 minutes, if the top is not somewhat crackled and the center is not firm, bake longer. When it’s done a toothpick or knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
*You may have extra Honey Almond Butter Glaze. While it’s still fresh and creamy, dunk some whole strawberries or chunks of banana in it, then refrigerate on a piece of parchment paper. Now you’ve got some healthy sweet snacks!