Smooth Minty Mousse with Dark Chocolate Fudge
I am SO excited to share this recipe for decadent Vegan Peppermint Patties with you! It’s the beautiful baby of two of my favorite things: dark chocolate and the color green. Not to mention the refreshing zing of peppermint that helps it all magically come together. I thought this would make a fun St. Patrick’s Day treat, for those of us celebrating our Irish roots this week 🙂
These sweet little Vegan Peppermint Patties are layered in jars, filled with a creamy mousse made out of whipped coconut cream, pure peppermint and vanilla extracts, raw honey, and matcha green tea powder for color. Honey is technically is not Vegan, though I’ve known many Vegans that do eat it, but you can easily sub in coconut nectar to meet all your dietary needs! The dark chocolate fudge is a simple mixture of coconut oil, coconut water, cacao powder, and raw honey (once again, you can sub). I find it oddly fun to make desserts in jars – I just think they’re so cute! It’s a unique way to present a dish and the Nutritionist in me appreciates the fact that they help with portion control.
I’m currently working on some other blogging and writing projects (stay tuned for an awesome eBook review1) so I’ve got to make this post a little shorter than normal. Trust me, though, I put tons of work into perfecting this recipe (meaning I ate my fair share of these) and you will be so happy you made them!
Why You Should Eat It
Well, because chocolate and peppermint are a match made it heaven! But also, because for such a rich treat, this recipe is a much healthier alternative than the more common peppermint chocolate desserts. This dish provides some awesome aromatherapeutic benefits while you make it – peppermint oil is a traditional, botanical remedy that’s been used for a wide range of health issues. Inhaling peppermint oil can benefit nausea, asthma, stress, headaches, and even improve memory. Ingesting peppermint has been shown to help IBS, indigestion, gas, colic in infants, Hay Fever, and respiratory problems. You can easily find peppermint tea or capsules that make it easier to consume larger amounts for these types of health concerns. While this recipe only has a very small amount of peppermint extract in it, you will still get a delightful whiff of it’s healing menthol compounds when you’re mixing up the cream.
How You Can Make It
Before you plan to start making these Paleo & Vegan Peppermint Patties, stick a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. You’re going to make the mint cream first, open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the solid portion into your blender.
Add 2 Tbsp. of the coconut water from the can to the blender as well and reserve the rest in a jar to use later. Next, you add in your vanilla and peppermint extracts, honey (or other sweetener), and matcha powder. Turn the blender on low and slowly increase to a medium speed, 30 seconds or so, until very smooth. Then you can just divide this delectable cream into a few jars, this recipe should fill 3-4 small jars or about 2 medium sized ones. It’s very rich so a little goes a long way!
You should pop the jars of cream in the fridge while you work on the chocolate. Melt your coconut oil over medium-low heat in a small saucepan, then add 2 1/2 Tbsp. of reserved coconut milk/water that is leftover from the can, the cacao powder, and the additional honey or other sweetner. Whisk all the ingredients together until combined and there are no lumps, this only takes a few minutes, and then you can remove the pan from the stove. As the chocolate cools continue whisking, to keep it smooth. After about ten minutes you can spoon the chocolate mix into the jars, on top of the peppermint cream.
Stick the jars back in the fridge and allow the chocolate to set, this might take 30-45 minutes or so. When they’re ready, the top should be firm to a light touch and no longer runny. You can garnish with fresh mint leaves and a dusting of matcha powder for an extra pretty green pop. Hope you can enjoy these Paleo & Vegan Peppermint Patties on St. Patty’s day with someone you love!
Paleo & Vegan Peppermint Patties in a Jar
Yield 2-4 jars
These creamy layers of peppermint and dark chocolate are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth! They're a cute little dish with healthy ingredients and tons of flavor.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated at least 2 hours or overnight
- 5 Tbsp raw honey (or sub coconut nectar), divided
- 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- fresh mint, for garnish
- Open coconut milk, then scoop the cream portion into blender and pour the coconut water into a jar and set aside.
- Measure 3 Tbsp coconut water from the jar and add to blender.
- Add peppermint, vanilla, 2 Tbsp honey, and matcha to blender. Turn on low and slowly increase to medium speed, stopping to scrape sides as needed, and blend for about 20-30 seconds until creamy and no lumps remain.
- Once mint cream is blended, scoop into jars and refrigerate.
- To make chocolate layer, melt 2 Tbsp coconut oil over medium-low heat in a small saucepan.
- Add 2 1/2 Tbsp coconut water that was reserved from can, along with remaining 3 Tbsp honey and cacao powder. Whisk well until smooth.
- Remove from heat, continuing to whisk, and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Scoop chocolate into jars on top of mint cream. Place back in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set, then garnish with fresh mint leaves or a dusting of matcha powder.
This recipe can make 2-4 servings depending on the size of jars you use. You can use whatever you have on hand and play around with how much of each layer you want.